here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

look beyond the obvious...

with the latest stamp release, 
I enlarged the original
 "hosta" stamp...

I love it because 
it can be used so many ways...
the leaves are easy to cut out & they
 can be combined with so many flowers 
that we have, 
to create lots of combos...

and if you prefer 



the photo below shows the original size on the right & the new on the left...


I  used the whole image for this sample...


today I'll share another way 
to use the same stamp...


I stamped these 2 flowers onto clearly for art, that is covered with newsprint paper...

both were stamped with jet black archival & cut out...

they were both inked with 
then stamped over with this stamp...

I inked the stamp with orange blossom for a tone on tone effect...




next, I stamped the hosta leaves
 ( I chopped off the flower) 
2 times onto CFA/newsprint...
using jet black...

save the flower!
turn it upside down, ink it with yellow
 & it looks like a BEE!

after the leaves were cut out, 
I inked them with leaf green archival...

the plaid background stamp got inked with watering can archival & I stamped over the leaves...
when in doubt, watering can or tree branch coordinate with just about everything...
both are great for background stamping...

the watering can is much softer than jet black...
save jet black for your main images...
you'll see it makes them pop...


plaid leaves? striped flower?
sure! why not...
there are no rules for art!


the #8 manila tag was cut down to 5 ½ inches...
if you haven't tried this, that ¾ of an inch makes a huge difference in the proportions of the tag...
I am really liking this size...

the background was created with 
the rubbing alcohol/archival ink technique...

I used sky blue & tree branch...


I added shading to the edges of the tag with pumice stone distress ink & then edged the tag with the tarnished brass distress paint dabber...
it's a small detail, but it's a nice easy finishing touch for tags & cards...

hmmm...
what else?

oh...I lightly inked the unmounted
script background with tree branch archival & randomly stamped over the tag...
mostly toward the right side...

those little dots are tarnished brass distress paint applied to the spatter stamp that comes in the 
and...
it's another way to use that stamp!
I'll also be showing some other ways it can be used for holiday projects...
think snow!

the sentiment was stamped with jet black...
and that row of lines at the bottom was stamped with tree branch...
repeating the colors used in the background
 makes it foolproof...


I heated the leaves & flowers to shape them...
clearly for art pieces 
will maintain their shape...

now those "hosta" leaves can be arranged 
to create a swag...




the flowers get layered together 
and the layered flower will cover up
 the intersection of the leaves...
 a single gem accents the flower center...

I added black glaze pen dots to the border, then got carried away adding them to the background...
note to self...
somedays you need to know when to quit...


and now the hosta looks like a 
whole new much larger stamp...

 this works with the smaller hosta too...
for smaller projects, used with smaller flowers...
it's super cute...

by combining 2 different flowers
you get another NEW unique flower...

the flowers are open designs, 
so that they can be stamped or stenciled
 to change them up even more...


the title of this post is
 the moral of the story today...

pick up your stamps...
turn them sideways & upside down...

look beyond the obvious to get more use from your stamps when you...

make art!
wendy
ps...I hope you'll come see us
 in Madison, Wi this weekend!
we'll have the booth LOADED with cool supplies to make art...
tell me that you are a "blog friend"
and I'll have a little gift for you...

I have a fun make & take planned 
for Friday evening...
you'll get to play with my stamps, stencils, inks, mat minis, distress ink & glitter, my embossing powders and embossing paste...
just what you need 
to get in the holiday mood...


12 comments:

SusanK said...

Very pretty! I love the idea of thinking beyond what an image portrays. The swag of leaves is a super idea..gotta try it with some of your other images to see if it works with what I have.

Debby said...

Beautiful! Love how you come up with different combinations to create new flowers and backgrounds. Need to make more time for play these days!

Lisa said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I just love the hosta leaves!! I am always so inspired when I visit you!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Redanne said...

The leaves and flower are beautiful, I love how you created the swag and your cut down tag is just the perfect size to display it! Anne xx

Carol H. said...

Love what you've done with your stamps! You're really great at thinking outside the box. Those tags are beautiful!! Sure hope you'll be back in Arlington, TX next year! Love your work!!

donna said...


Beautiful ART Wendy.

Wish I could make Madison this weekend, it sounds like a blast!
Have a safe Journey and stay warm.

Donna in Ky

Rea' said...

My goodness ... you never cease to amaze me ... such a beautiful tag; lovin' the flower and the leaves !!

Marci said...

I love this tag! That soft background is beautiful and I love the plaid leaves. Thank you for all the ideas you share. I do not always leave a comment but I ALWAYS read your posts.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I LOVE the bigger size of this stamp, and love how you twisted it up and just used the leaves...so clever! Gorgeous tag and little piece! Hope you are well!

Kirsten said...

Very lovely!

Stephanie Rodgers said...

I love it! This may be my favorite use yet of that large hosta! Thx!

Kathy Eddy said...

Looking forward to seeing you in Madison! We are getting ready to leave now but can't do the Friday night thing, but we will definately see you on Saturday in the booth!