here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Monday, February 10, 2014

playing with paste…part 2...

you guys are WAY TOO smart!

when I wrote the last post about the crackled texture paste, I purposely didn't say anything about using it on glass…
I knew it worked…

I had added white embossing paste to a glass bottle…
quite a while ago...

here's a photo from CHA January of 2013…



I had plans for a glass & embossing paste post in a few weeks…

HOWEVER…I got so many emails, comments here & on Facebook, that I had to move this post up…

I have a GREAT success to share today and also an EPIC FAIL…
I'll share that too…

I wanted you to know that not every experiment goes 100% as planned…

to create this bottle…

I had a flea market vintage bottle with a great shape…

I covered it with a layer of silver metallic embossing paste, let it dry, then added a layer of crackled texture paste…

before adding the crackled texture paste, I added 2 drops of potting soil archival reinker to the paste…

it dried to look like this...


to create a deeper color, I added tree branch archival and potting soil archival, with the blending tool & dried it…

now it looked like this...


you'll see (2 photos above) that the neck portion of the bottle was unpasted (is that a word?)

so I applied gold metallic embossing paste over the naked glass…
I found it easiest to get all the fluted areas on the neck by applying the paste with my finger…

trigger the james bond goldfinger music…lol...

I got to use this awesome medicine label stamp again…
the brand name is "august flower"…keep that in mind…
it LCS056 & the set name is "art is therapeutic"...

I inked the stamp with jet black archival & pressed the bottle onto the inked stamp…

always remember to dry archival when used over paste...

to jazz up the neck, I used tim's industrious border stickers

I changed it up by rubbing on some forget-me-not archival & then lightly swiped over it to hit just the raised areas with fern green archival…

dried it...

now it looks like this...


remember the brand name?

tim to the rescue with this perfect new botanical remnant rub flower, butterfly, words & numbers..

the rubs are awesome over the crackled texture paste
just make sure the ink is totally dry before adding the rubs…

you'll see a small area on the right top side…
I dropped the bottle on the tile kitchen floor & the paste popped off just in that area where it hit the floor...

glue n seal fixed that…
I just applied some over the popped off area & that saved the day…
because I used the matte glue n seal, you don't notice a thing…

the rest of the paste is firmly attached…




it was needing something…

so I created a lid, starting with an idea-ology faucet knob

I brushed some tarnished brass distress paint on random areas & filled in the other areas with mushroom alcohol ink

it looks worn, so it coordinates well with the bottle...


the next step was to add mushroom alcohol ink to this vintage Christmas tree reflector...




I wanted the lid to sit securely inside the bottle, but I didn't have a cork that fit …

I needed something with a bit of length...

plan B…

I sacrificed a mini mister lid…
Rick drilled a hole in it to accept the long screw
I added a gob of hot glue to the inside of the mini mister lid to hold the screw in place…

looks like a cork to me…
plus it's totally hidden…so it doesn't matter...


the lid fit perfectly in the hole of the reflector and made this FLOWER bottle topper

remember the brand name? it all ties in…I LOVE IT!



I was totally thrilled with how it turned out...


other side...


I wanted to play more, but didn't have a vintage bottle that I wanted to use…

so I dug out 2 bottle that I got either at Michael's or maybe Hobby Lobby?

for this one I added a layer of gold metallic embossing paste, let it dry, then added the crackled texture paste
I tinted the paste with one drop of potting soil reinker first…

it dried to this…
it's not done, but it's ready for when I have time play...


now for the epic fail…
or is it?

I added a layer of black embossing paste to another bottle…it's the same exact as above…

let it dry, then added the crackled texture paste

I got up this morning to this…
it's ALL popping off in huge chunks...


I haven't figured out why this happened yet…but I WILL…
after I take off the chunks, I'll start again with plan B...

so for now, if you want to try this, I suggest using the metallic gold or silver paste…they both work great...

if you know me, you probably know that I won't waste these big crackled chunks…

I think they'll be cool to add to a canvas background…
I'll just glue them on…or maybe stamp on them first?

well…I didn't hear from the 3 remaining winners from the 1000th post giveaway...

so I decided to give away the prizes to random commenters at UNANNOUNCED times…

so it could be today…or it could be later this week…

the winners could be chosen from blog comments or from my FACEBOOK PAGE

I think surprises are GOOD…
& comments are too…

and speaking of FACEBOOK
I shared a mini tutorial over there on Saturday…
5 easy steps to create this cute bird…

check it out...



I have some GOOD NEWS!

I got inside info on Friday afternoon that my new archival inks started shipping!

they should be in stores & ready THIS WEEK!
be watching!

and…

don't forget the reinkers…GREAT for inking pads & for archival reinker backgrounds too...

ok…lots on the TO*DO list today…

I hope you'll get out your embossing & crackled texture pastes and…

make art!

wendy


63 comments:

Jessica said...

Love your fun tutorials!!! This is one gorgeous project! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Sue said...

Another great tutorial! Love how all of the "flower" elements came together.

Miriam said...

Amazing tutorial - I can't wait to try this!! I just love how it all worked!

Unknown said...

I'm a lover of anything vintage and this bottle is amazing. Love the flower stopper you created! Waiting rather impatiently for my texture pastes to arrive for I can play! Great tutorial!!!

The Hardy Stamper said...

I love your honest tutorials! Showing us your epic fail stops us from doing the same thing and gives us the confidence to try with the other texture pastes instead. Good news about your inks now shipping too - so excited about that!

LauraB said...

great to see another use for the pastes. and how interesting re the black paste and happy you will get to recycle the pieces.

I tried stamping on the wet paste as in your CHA demo but it didn't work out. will try again at some point. Been trying the crackle/paste technique and having fun.
thanks for the tuts.

Dee in N.H. said...

That bottle is beautiful! I love the topper and all the cool crackle!

Colleen O said...

Well off to the recycle bin I go to look for some fun glass to alter! Thanks for the tutorial. You are a true inspiration

Scrapthat said...

Now I am so curious to hear if you figure out the cause! Your August Flower bottle turned out awesome!! I just love it when a project seemingly takes ME for a ride!
TFS and please do keep us in the loop if you figure out why the black didn't work.
Do you prep your surface by cleaning at all?
Alcohol wiped over the surface should clean off any residues left there. I'm very curious.

famillemarleau said...

I love how the bottle looks. Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing, Johanne Lacombe

sue said...

I love 2nd chances! Thanks for us showing us how to use the paste on glass.

Suzan VonEssen said...

Love the August Flower bottle - clever use of the mini mister top, lol. I am very curious, too, why the black didn't work? Keep us posted, and as always, TFS!!!!

SusanK said...

I can't get over how authentically OLD that bottle and label look! I actually have used that stamp on an old bottle in my vintage bathroom. Now it's time to update the look with this technique. Off to play!

Kathi said...

Fabulous tutorial and a great project. I love the faux antique look. Very cool.

I wonder if there's something in the metallic paste and its bond with the glass that lets it work with the crackle.

I dunno. Better ask Ranger's chemist!

Lori said...

Wow, that looks AWESOME! Must be something unique to the metallic paste to make it stick. But, I'm no chemist. LOL. Fab tutorial, as always....going to look in the stash for some glass bottles!

Debby said...

Love that bottle! I have a couple of small ones so later in the week that will be an experiment. Hate having to go to work when it would be more fun to stay home and play.

Lisa H said...

That is cool! Thanks for the tutorial I would like to try that one for sure.

Gabrielle said...

Fabulous bottles and that flower stopper is amazing! So glad you have epic fails too (and that you're not afraid to share them!) - now, I'm off to "empty" a bottle ready for experimenting on... Chardonnay anyone?!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous tutorial Wendy! I love how crackle has taken on an aged look, gorgeous! Mini mister lid as a cork, fantastic ! Sue C x

Craftyfield said...

Love that bottle, beautiful and so old looking! The last time I tried something on glass it also crumbled, not immediately but a few months later!

Jacqueline Smith said...

Fabulous job giving that vintage bottle some new life! Wow awesome tutorial even with the epic failure is how we learn.Can't wait to try this!

Meme said...

You know your killing me with your embossing paste?

I came
I saw
I'm more hook now then I was before!

Dorothy said...

Love the technique!!! Most awesome!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, the bottle looks amazing!! Wow!! I can not wait to get the crackled texture paste!! The effects you get with it are stunning!! Thanks for sharing another inspirational project!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Vic said...

Another rockin' piece of art! TFS

Redanne said...

It is good to hear that you have fails too sometimes, makes me feel so much better! The first bottle looks fantastic, it has aged very well and I love your innovative top, it finished it off perfectly! Just got my crackle paste, so I can play now too! Anne x

Helen said...

wow, I love the look of the crackle on the bottles - even the "failed" one - they'll be fun to re-use. Thanks for sharing this post.

Art By Wanda said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! That topper is fabulous as is the bottle. Hmmm... so if the black maybe doesn't stay stuck to glass then I guess we'd need to coat with Glue 'n Seal first like you did with Tim's crackle paint??? I know you'll figure it out and let us know!!!!! Thanks for the great inspiration and details!!!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wow the bottle looks amazing, will have to try this. The crackle looks fantastic .thanks for the tutorial. Tracy x

Lori said...

I will HAVE to try this bottle thing! I say all kinds of bottles and jars...maybe a mayson jar would work with it already having the embossed mason label on it! CUUUUTEEE!

Marci said...

Love the CHA 13 bottle and the August Flower bottle! Was it a thick layer of paste to get those big cracks on the August Flower bottle? The topper is really neat, too. Thanks again for all the info, including mishaps.

Wilma said...

o wow...love the first bottle! It is so cool!! The second one...well hope you figured out what happend, looks like me like a Dutch candy ;-) The bird is just a beauty!!!

LoraineC said...

Amazing the bottle is so gorgeous I love it thanks for sharing x

Tona said...

Your work is just amazing!!! It's unbelievable how you transformed that bottle.

Marissa said...

That seems so crazy that some worked and some didn't...I can't wait to see what you do with the chunks. And now when you LOVE what you make with the chunks you now know how to make them on purpose! :)

Treasures by Louise said...

Thanks for sharing this project, even the failures. I hope we are able to learn why the black paste did not stick. I'd like to try these embossing pastes!

Theresa said...

This is WAYYYY cool!!! I LOVE it!!

Marilyn C. said...

Your tutorials are the best. I'm itching to get into my studio to try the bottle magic. I am not on FB but would love to see the mini tutorial on the bird. Good luck with the black paste job!

Hels Sheridan said...

How cool is THAT!!! Amazing, I am SO gonna try that... now!! I have Crackle Paste... YAY!!! Have you tried the old Glue & Seal layer on the bottle before the black paste? worth a try I guess? Thanks for the fabby tut Wendy and please pick me for a prize... pretty please xx

cheryltownley said...

You are amazing Wendy, and so inspiring. You never seem to stop! Thanks for all the inspiration, those bottles look amazing!

slbt17 said...

that is really neat - love it - will need to put it on my need to try out list - no facebook - can you share the tutorial here too?
thanks for all the inspiration Wendy!
Sandra ltb

Unknown said...

Love the wins (and losses- makes you almost seem human)

Inkypinkycraft said...

Sme great tips with the paste andthat bird looks very cute! What do I need...just more time! Do you ship that ?! no, I thought not....:( .
Trace x

Diane J said...

I love the ideas you come up with! The bottles are great. I'm glad to see that someone will post some failures or things that fail. Great project.

stamping sue said...

I'm happy to see you are still doing tutorials on embossing paste. I plan to play very soon. I like that bottle and to think you even stamped on it....very creative. now to visit your facebook to check out the bird.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Anette said...

this is good news! love it that it sticks on smooth surfaces. great tutorial. thanks.

Linda said...

looking forward t the tutorial of the bird! I have to try to alter a bottle just like you explained. I LOVE it! TFS!

Unknown said...

I so love the bottle. I'll now head over to your facebook page to check out the bird tutorial.

Unknown said...

LOVE the way the bottle came out -- what is different about the black paste ?? I am having some difficulty with the translucent paste with distress stain -- I switched to white and had much better results. Thanks for sharing your FABULOUS work !!

Angela said...

Love what you did to the bottles! It looks so authentic! Love all your creations, wish you were visiting Milwaukee...hint.
Hugs,
Angela

Jen said...

Wow! First time visitor to your blog - lots to see! Thanks for sharing!

Sharon Y said...

Whoa! Love the bottles! Thanks for the tutorial.

Jenny Marples said...

Oh what inspiration! The idea of adding the rub ons over the crackled paste is great and your faucet cork is a triumph. Thanks too for the tip about using the gold/silver pastes as a base rather than the black/white ones. Mind you, I bet you will still come up with an amazing way of using those chunks! Jenny x

Janie said...

LOVE the bottles. Thanks for showing the fails also. Makes me feel like i am not the only one to have those.

Unknown said...

That bottle came out so cool! Where do you come up with this stuff? Lol. I put in a HUGE order with Simon Says Stamp about 2 weeks ago (all your stuff), and I've been chomping at the bit to get it. Probably was the ink pads & reinkers holding it up, so, hopefully (fingers crossed), I'll get it soon.

Kailash said...

Wow such an amazing project, love your tutorial. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!!!

Larissa Heskett said...

OKAY!! TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY AWESOME!! Even the Huge chunks are NEAT and I can't wait to see what you'll create with them!! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing and I look forward to more ART!! Hope you have a Fabulous Rest of your Valentine's Week and Day!! ;)

TwinkleToes2day said...

Wow. I don't have any of the wherewithalls (? haha) to do any of this, but I get very excited when I read through the tutorials & see the images develop into amazing pieces of art. I really enjoy seeing what you create, very much. Thank you for sharing, Wendy. :o) Mo

Patty Williams said...

Count me in as loving that bottle ! wow - it is gorgeous !

I'll be interested to hear why the black one didn't work out.

joy said...

You are one amazing gal, Wendy! It is so much fun to see your posts and the detailed step by steps you do for your projects. I love the hearts you cut from the background paper you didn't like. Thank you for the inspiration!!

Anonymous said...

I was reading this blog post & just shaking my head in complete awe. That bottle is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. It looks like it was unearthed from an archaeological dig somewhere & is now a museum piece.
And the second one is not an epic fail, I know you'll do something amazing with it.

Quirky Shepherd said...

so much inspiration and work gets in the way of trying all the different techiniques aaarrrgh!!

Delan'sDesign said...

Wendy, I LOVE your designs! I'm so enamoured with that vintage bottle and the look of the crackle paste. Going online to find a source of your products right now. Can you tell me (or anyone) tell me where to get that oh so cute August Flower stamp set? I can't see to locate that brand...
TFS, delanrn@yahoo.com