here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, September 11, 2009

one Q leads to more...

Now about those roses I showed yesterday...
let's start @ the beginning of the story...



Adhering patterned paper to grungepaper was NOT my original idea.
Tim did it...I can't remember his exact project...
Hey...I'm old...& forgetful...but it was his idea...

and keychain made paper covered giant roses, that she hand cut.

So...for those who sent emails...I am NOT the genius...they are!


I designed the rose stamp & used the mini Jenni Bowlin papers...
to make the roses shown above and the inked/stamped versions I've showed in previous posts.

That rose post lead to more questions...

OK....tell me how to get the paper on the flower so the paper fits the stamp. geez.

Here's what works for me...

I stamped the rose on grungepaper & roughly cut it out...see below. Then adhered it to the BACK of the Jenni mini papers, with my stamped image facing UP.

Now, when you cut, it's a perfect fit.

I did not put paper on the backs of the pieces, I just inked them ...

BUT... I did put paper scraps on the single petal & 2 petals that make the rose center. Since the petals are bent down, you really don't see much of the underside.

The original rose making post is here. It's got all the instructions and some step by step photos.


What glue do you use to glue paper to the grungepaper like you did for the roses using Jenni Bowlin's mini papers?

The 2 glues I use are Claudine Hellmuth's multi medium...the matte finish and I also like Art Glitter Glue.

NEXT...

I would like to see a TIPS section in your next book which would be answers to all our questions. What do you think?

I do have several pages with LOTS of tips, hints and my FAVORITE products listed in this book. If I think of more, you bet I'll include them.


I have a question...When ordering one of your stamp sets, do they come on the scalloped plastic page or do I need to order that separate?

The studio 490 stamps come on the scalloped storage sheet. You don't need to buy them individually.

My question is this: You mentioned that Ted brings your stamps to conventions. Will he be bringing your book as well? Next weekend I'll be attending the Stamp Scrap Art Tour in Rhinebeck, NY and I see that Stampers Anonymous will be attending.

LUCKY YOU...to have a convention close!

Yes...Ted will be there with a TON of stamps and my book too. He does GREAT demoes & is a very funny guy. You'll have a great time in the booth. Tell him I said "HI!" Ask him if he can make a GRUNGE flower!

That's it for today. As I told our "cruise group" this morning...

We got a BOATLOAD (get it?) to do. The cruise leaves a month from today...BUT...my "stuff" has to be completed & shipped to Tim by 2 weeks from today.

YIKES!

No time to...

make art!

wendy

ps...please take a moment today to remember the families affected by the tragedy of 9/11/2001.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember where I was and hate to admit I didn't know what the twin towers were when I heard about it. I certainly didn't realize the changes that would occur in our life, my husband is in the reserves and currently is in Afganistan until after the first of the year. It is his third time being deployed and all I can say is thank goodness for ART to keep me sane. I stayed up late last night making roses, it is quite addicting and very relaxing, the boys woke up to a table full of grunge roses and a Mama in a better mood :.)))!! Better than prozac anyday! Thanks

Joyce said...

My son and his wife were married 5 years ago today. When picking a wedding date, they decided on 9/11 to turn it into a positive day of rememberance. I too had a son in Iraq but thank goodness he came home but has several issues and is now 100% disabled and not of the physical type but of the mental type. Breaks my heart. Anyway, loved the answers to your questions and am anxiously awaiting for the next convention to get more stamps! And your book. Thank you for all the tips on the making of the roses. That will be my task tonight.

Unknown said...

My thoughts are with all the families affected and at 11am this morning [UK time] I had my own mini two minute silence! It certainly puts things into perspective X

You are doing a fab job answering all these questions ... Thank you X

Andrea said...

we do remember 9/11 here in the UK as sadly we had Britsh lifes lost to, I still remember seeing the news on that dreadful day, love to all those who lost loved ones xx

Linda said...

9/11 has definietly been on my mind. My "baby" left late yesterday (4:49 p.m. PDT) and arrived in London at 10:30 a.m. (London time) this morning.

If you or a family member are a member of our armed forces, fire departments, police department or rescue units, special THANKS to you for your service!

Linda H.

Michele K said...

Thanks for answering the questions, Wendy. It is so hard to believe that 8 years have already passed since that horrific day. See you tomorrow!!!! Can't wait, hope I can sleep tonight!

Elaine A said...

Hi Wendy -

9/11 and the days following were such horrible and yet inspiring days. The horror at such a loss of life will always stay with me, but I will also carry with me the courage of so many people who searched the rubble for those who were inside the Towers and the Pentagon, the doctors and nurses who gave aid, those who donated food for the searchers. So many wonderful stories of Americans stepping up to the plate. I also remember with pride those passengers on United Airlines flight 93 who engaged the terrorists and prevented them from accomplishing their mission, at the cost of their own lives. For me personally, I will never forget the panic I felt when I could not reach my husband who worked in a Verizon building across from the Twin Towers. We were in the middle of a conversation where he was telling me that they had been told to go back into the building when the line suddenly went dead. Not a word of communication from him until he came in the door around 6 that evening. I was in tears and didn't know if I wanted to kiss him or hit him. It turned out that communications were down in that area of Manhattan. He had caught the last ferry out to Hoboken, NJ, and all lines were down in Hoboken, as well as all rail and bus service. I never want to experience that fear and anxiety again.

On a lighter note, thank you again for the Q&A's and I will be sure to ask Ted if can make grunge flowers - LOL!

Thanks
Elaine Allen

Art By Wanda said...

This whole question and answer thing is so much fun!!! I have a quick question (I hope it's quick for you since you are soooo busy). I'm wondering how Claudine's medium compares to Golden's... I have several of Golden's mediums including Matte Medium that I should probably finish before getting something different... but?????

Erin Glee said...

Thanks for sharing your "secrets" to to making Art!

I'll never forget the horror of this time 8 years ago. Besides all the sadness for all the people I didn't know personally, I was beyond upset that my broyher and his family were on vacation in Penn. Duch area and planned a side trip to NYC... but I didn't know when! They called & were fine~their trip to NYC was going to be 9/12. Relief for my family. Blessing to all the people who suffered, helped the suffering or who were killed or who lost a loved one. God bless America.